Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Confession: I was scared to live in America

Let's get this straight: I am ridiculous. God has known that for always, I have known it for quite some time, and if you know me at all you probably know it, too. The fact that I can even write this blog about how God had to talk me into America is just some proof.



Excerpt from March 9th, 2013
"Tonight you made me give something up...I had to hand over my resistance to living in America...
Did it really take moving me to Africa to finally accept living in America? Wow, I'm thick headed. I have this fear of complacency that I tie to the 'American Dream.' But the truth is- I can be complacent anywhere...And, if I am truly trying to follow you- then complacency will not be able to take hold of me anywhere. I want to be a bringer of your word WHEREVER you ask me to be!...
So, Lord, take my location. I give this one up- FINALLY. I have been begging for Africa for so long, and now that I'm here I've almost felt like digging in my heels. But that is not what it looks like to follow you ...Gosh I'm feeling so dumb that I even had to learn this lesson. I want to be a herald of Christ. Anywhere you send me. And everywhere you send me."

So, yes it is embarrassing that I can even share this lesson. That I had to even learn it. But, I share it because it speaks directly into where I am- and because I want to ask for your prayers in this place.

I have been learning to trust ever more on God's timing. I need to give my best time to Him first thing in the morning, listen for his perfect timing in daily occurrences, and especially trust in his timing for bigger future things. And through the EMI intern bible study on Habakkuk, I have been learning about how to appropriately question God and wait for His good answer.

He is putting this lesson to the test as I look to July. I have a lot of questions, and a lot of decisions to make coming up in the next few months. As I decide between what companies and cities I might live and work in back in the US, whether or not I should stay on a term with EMI, whether or not to pursue a design career or a construction career, and how long I have to wait to see my family and friends again, God is trying to get me to hand it all over. Let Him decide. Some of these decisions are coming up quicker than I anticipated, so I ask for your prayers that I WILL let Him decide. And that I will know how to ask appropriately, and wait patiently.

Prayer Requests:
-As I make decisions for the future, that I will wait patiently for His guidance
-For Jeffrey, our compound guard. He is currently reading through the Bible that Belinda and I gave him because he has never owned one before! I believe he already knows Christ, but he is so eager to learn and study more. Please pray for his continued understanding.
-The Nsambya children! It has been so cool to see positive changes in their interactions with us, even though it has been just a short time. Pray that we can truly share the love of Christ with them!

Praises:
-The rainy season is starting up, so temperatures are much more moderate! It's so nice!
-Quick answers to prayer! It seems like there is a shorter lead time on prayer answers here...or maybe I'm just crazy.
-The Horne's have arrived! Matt, Kayla, and Micah are settling in to their new apartment. It is so good to see them after first meeting at orientation!

You May be in Kampala If:
-Shopping downtown feels like you won a sweepstakes, because all the clothes range from $0.40 USD- $3.00 USD. Win, win, win!
-You eat starch. All the time.
-You can stop for a fresh chapati and a cold Coke on the way home from a day on the site.

Thank you for your love and support, I'm spoiled!
SForbes


1 comment:

  1. "Let's get this straight: I am ridiculous. God has known that for always, I have known it for quite some time, and if you know me at all you probably know it, too. " I laughed out loud reading this. Especially the "God has known that for always".

    I got really far behind in reading your blog, but catching up now.

    I love this post. The understanding that complacency can be anywhere and the wrestling with what location we can best serve. In America or out of America--God love both and He's just as big in America as He is in Africa.

    ReplyDelete