Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Goodbyes: The Best of the Worst

So, I hate goodbyes. They kinda suck. Maybe it is because I am a people person, an extreme extrovert, or just because I am human and it is normal. But I hate them.

So graduating college was a little bittersweet. May never see some of those wonderful people again. Leaving for Africa was not super fun, because I had to say goodbye to lots of loved ones for six months. Leaving from a short term mission trip in Romania, leaving Kanakuk for probably the last time, leaving from my internship in Fort Wayne. Even leaving EMI orientation after getting to know some really cool people (shout out to the roomies!) was a bummer. Since I've been in Kampala others like Katie Hawkes (EMI CS intern), Alan (EMI volunteer), and Alena (Doors volunteer) have left. Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye. Yuck. Lord, why in the world did you make this world so full of goodbyes? And why did you make goodbye so difficult?

But the wise Paul Smith (fellow intern) pointed something out to me last week. Not all goodbyes are difficult.

Christine left last Monday to return to the EMI India office. She was here for a few months. But in those few months she taught me more about reckless abandonment for Jesus that I would've learned on my own in a few years. We laughed so much while she was here. She saw me cry a fair bit, too. Over orphans and dreams and weariness. She was open, vulnerable, and giving of herself.





David was one of the first people I met when I arrived in Kampala. He was a fellow intern who showed us the ropes upon arrival. He left last Thursday to live in Michigan. He always wore a smile and always brought encouragement. He was the model of a hard worker and a strong leader. And he always brought the conversation, situation, or circumstance back to the Lord.  




Belinda left on Thursday, too. I doubt I've ever met someone so different than me that I loved so much. She is the picture of wisdom and discernment. Talking about the day with my Aussie roommate and fellow intern before hopping in to bed was easily a highlight of my day, every day, for four months. I have loved learning from this woman about cultural sensitivity, a servant's heart, diligence, and laughter. So much laughter and joy.





David and Belinda's departure marked (possibly) the last time our intern cohort will be all together. (Daniel Nyongesa is missing in the below pictures! But he was with us last Tuesday.)



Sam is one of the boys in Doors Ministries. He left for boarding school on Monday. He has my name, so that's cool. And I don't pretend to know him nearly as well as I could...but he is a precious child who used to live on the streets of Kampala. The Sam I know is so full of laughter, silly antics, love for the Lord, amazing dancing skills, and pretty good hugs. On Sunday after church, I hugged him goodbye and nonchalantly asked when he would be coming home for holiday from boarding school. August. My heart dropped and my eyes filled with tears. I didn't think for a second that I would be saying goodbye to anyone from Uganda for 2 more months! I will hopefully get the chance to visit him at boarding school before I leave...but Sunday was still not fun.




Those goodbyes were hard because the times together were so great. Because we learned so much from each other, grew together, laughed, cried, shared ourselves and shared Christ. If goodbye was easy, for me, that probably means we didn't have much to be sorry for when our time was over.

So really, the worst goodbyes are the best. The goodbye is hard because all that happened before the goodbye was worthwhile. And that is reason to rejoice. Rejoice in the Lord's goodness for the blessing. Give thanks. Cry a little, maybe. But then smile.

I still don't understand why the world is this way, or why God has some people appointed to be in our lives for only a season. I am still definitely not looking forward to leaving this place in a few short months. I am still going to cry when I have to say goodbye. If the goodbye is that hard, I am probably still going to pray like crazy that our paths will cross again. But I'm also going to rejoice, be thankful, and trust in his timing. I have to. Where else could I put my trust?

Prayer Requests:
-I'm making another visa/immigration run this weekend! Hopefully my visa extension will process without the use of a bribe...otherwise I'll be crossing over to Kenya this weekend!
-Processing lessons from the Lord- as others leave and I begin to realize I'm next in line.
-The Horne's baby is due any day! Pray for her to get here quick!

Praises:
-For the wonderful people and relationships I've been given. I am so blessed and thankful!
-Project work has been going really well! We've all got lots to do but we've got all we need to get it done, too!

You May Be In Kampala If:
-You watch Peter Pan with a group of 10+ Ugandans that have never seen it before!
-You go swimming off the shore of Lake Victoria, and it feels almost like swimming in the lake at home! Except that you are likely contracting bill harzia disease.

Thanks for reading!
SForbes

No comments:

Post a Comment