Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Am Home

A few weeks ago I found myself in a kayak out in the middle of Lake Victoria. I was somewhere between the shore and an island. I saw thousands of snails in the water that I knew would give me bill harzia disease, beautiful exotic birds along the shore, and lots of wooden fishing boats. And I was overcome with this knowledge: I am home.

Philippians 4:11-12
Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.

I used to think of this passage only in terms of material needs. But the Lord has been teaching me that I can share Paul's attitude here in every aspect of my life. Because the "secret" I think Paul is talking about is a really good secret. We have absolutely everything we need in Christ.

I desire good relationships, or home comforts, or wealth, or validation from people, or a wonderful marriage, or children (adopted or mine!), or satisfaction in my work, or a sense of peace and comfort- but I do not need those things. I find completeness in Christ. I find full provision in Christ. In Him, I live and move and breathe. I am content not because of his blessings. I am content that he is enough. I am fully content in Him.

In Him, I am always home.

Praises:
-The Lord granted my visa extension for FREE in Uganda in less than 5 minutes at the immigration office. Unheard of! Praise God!
-Following the successful visit to immigration- Anne, Uriah, and I went to visit the beautiful Sipi Falls in Eastern Uganda. The Lord is so creative, so beautiful, and so good!
-Julia Horne was born on Monday! I was blessed to meet her today. She is beautiful and Kayla, Matt, and Micah are all doing well!
-I've got a new roommate. Rachel arrived yesterday! She is not working with EMI, but she is living with us girls and she is super nice :)

Prayer Requests:
-There has been a lot of sickness going around the EMI office and families the last few weeks (including myself). Pray that God uses this time of sickness as he desires (maybe to make us slow down and/or rest) but that he would also heal us quickly- cuz being sick ain't no fun!
-Mom and Dad are coming to UGANDA! Please pray for logistics as we work out the details together.

You May Be in Kampala If:
-You miss cheese like nobody's business. It is either really expensive, really bad, or it's gouda. All they have is gouda.
-In lieu of an epidural, you are given laughing gas when you give birth at the most respectable hospital in town (PS that's Kayla's experience...not mine!)
-You have acclimated to the point that you wear jeans, long sleeves, and a scarf...but it's barely under 70F...

In His Holy Name,
SForbes





No comments:

Post a Comment