Thursday, February 28, 2013

Border Hoppin Bandit

Hey guys, so remember when I promised I would blog more about what the Lord is teaching me? This is not that blog post... Sorry! He is still teaching me and growing me so much... But I thought you lovely people may want an update on my illegality in Uganda.

It's official! I am illegally in Uganda right now. Yesterday Simei went back to immigration and they finally gave him some answers. Well, they gave him one answer: "No." Request denied for my special pass. Which means my case is no longer pending, and my initial visitor's visa expired last week while my case was still processing. 

Time for a border run! Based on my current contract with eMi (Engineering Ministries International), and to allow myself some flexibility with my departure date (in case Mom and Pops want to visit for a few weeks), we decided it would be best to apply for a work permit. But, it takes a while to get things together for a work permit application (a background check, transcripts, my credentials...) so I need to not be illegal...like now.

Guess who loves America? Rwanda does. They let us in for free and don't require visas, so some of the interns and I are going to make a lovely little weekend trip down to Rwanda! We are going to Kigali- hopefully spend an afternoon or so in the city, visit a very cool memorial, and spend some time with a dear family that is friends with eMi staff Jeff and Jen Austin. Leaving probably tomorrow, Friday, on an overnight bus, and staying through Sunday for another overnight bus that brings us back to Kampala by Monday morning/afternoon.

IN SUMMARY:

This maybe sounds a bit disjointed and confusing- because it is. But the long and short of it is that I need to leave Uganda (because I'm here illegally) so that I can re-enter Uganda and get a visitor's visa (and be legal again while we apply for my work permit.) Which means- my greatest prayer request is that I am able to get a 3-month visitor's visa upon re-entry to Uganda.

Praise:
-The Lord is good and he knows what he's doing.

Prayer Request:
-That I get a 3-month visa when I re-enter Uganda
-That my fellow interns all get 3-month visas as well! Otherwise they could end up in my current situation!

You May be in Kampala If:
-You are illegally in Kampala...

Love you all!
SForbes

Another beautiful sunrise from my balcony this week. Sorry if these are getting old...they aren't for me!


Daniel Iya, I, and Matt Lammers. Matt (emi UK intern) got to visit us on his way to his project trip. Yay for reunions!


Interns hanging out and being awesome.


Meggie and I cooking up some grub! Nice chopping, Meggie. 


The old rock quarry is now a pretty lily pond!


Jenny Jackson and Florence asleep at Nsambya this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment