Wednesday, February 20, 2013

One Month In!

Hey everybody!

I have not updated this for a while, and am almost approaching my one-monthiversary in Kampala! I arrived on the 22nd of January.

First, here is the summary of my illegal alien status: I may actually be one in 2 short days. My case is pending with the immigration office though, so my staying in the country should be acceptable. I have applied for a special pass, which is what eMi interns normally do. But they have not liked it since I am in the country for 6 months and the passes only go up to 5 months. However, I currently have a 1-month visitor's visa. 1+5=6 right? Apparently the one month visa counts against my special pass, or something like that. So I may have to apply for a work permit. But those take 2-3 months to process. And it is appearing that I may not get a special pass for that interim 2-3 months, which means I would not be allowed to volunteer during that processing time....
SO, yesterday our office staff, Simei, went to immigration to check on my case. And they told him that they wanted to see me in person. This is an unusual request, and has not historically ended well for eMi. So, Brittany (eMi staff) and Simei and I went to immigration today, a little nervously. After shuffling from the counter lady to a big office guy, we are told to go home. Immigration actually wants to "discuss my fate" with the NGO board, not me. Oops, sorry. Simei will go check again tomorrow, so for now "No news is good news", right? Unfortunately for eMi, some of the regulations for special passes have recently changed, but we are unaware of the specifics. So, I'm not the only one in limbo right now. My fellow conman, Daniel Nyongesa, came up to visit us this week for a little stop in with Interpol to request a background check from Kenya to verify something or other...so on and so forth for his work permit. And the returning interns are in similar boats as myself. Hope I'm not sounding super negative! Really, I'm not too worried. I know that God is totally in control of it all and if he wants us here, this is where we will be. Just a little picture of red-tape Ugandan style!
This is my fellow conman, Daniel Nyongesa. He is super proud of his "farmer" boots in this photo.
In other news, it has been a fun week for relationships! We went over to the Austin's (staff family) house for dinner and testimonies last Friday. We had a good time playing with the kids, eating DELICIOUS food, and then hearing their stories. I just love hearing how God has brought people to this place. His story is always so exciting, and his plan of redemption is so beautiful! Jeff, in particular shared about how when he was working at a youth camp- he was led to The Lord by a 2nd grader. How cool is God?

There's Paul playing with the Austin kids. They built quite a tower!
On Sunday we said goodbye to Anne, Uriah, and Phil as they left for their project trip to Burundi. I miss them already! But that same night we welcomed back the first project team, which included Meggie, David, and Sarah. It feels like I'm never going to get all my roommates back! I miss Anne, but I'm glad to have Meggie home...she makes lots of food for us! Also, I love her. But the food is good. Speaking of food, Belinda and I learned how to make chapati this weekend! Yummy!!


Work is getting super busy! I think I mentioned it in my last post or two, but I am now working on a design project for African Children's Choir in Entebbe, and trying to stay involved with a CM project there as well. If I have time, I may get the chance to help out with the estimating of a project for Cherish Uganda. And in two weeks it looks like the secondary school for Good Shepherd's Fold and Amazima may kick in!

Hopefully I can update some more in a few days- especially in regards to what The Lord has been doing lately. He is teaching me SO MUCH! And I love it.

Praises:
-Project trips! Burundi team #1 returned, and #2 is now there. Another small emiEA team is in Western Uganda this week, and an emiUSA team is arriving in Kampala next week! Yeah yeah!
-Nsambya Babies Home and the Jackson family are such a blessing! Things have been going very well with our volunteering there.
-Meggie, my roomie, and Sarah, my mentor, being home!

Prayer Requests:
-Church group! I'm hoping I'll have the chance to try one out next week!
-Bad news: I got a little homesick this week. I knew this day would come, and it probably means that I love and miss you guys so that's good. BUT, I'm still in the honeymoon stage with African life, so that's a praise! Just missing you all!
-For diligence and focus at work. I am working in a few areas outside of my comfort zone, which is good for me! But it also makes things a lot more challenging some days.

You May be in Kampala If:
It almost looks like a dealership in the States! What!?
-Your 15-passenger van carries, eh, 25 people?
-You make a Ugandan friend one day, and the next, she invites you over to her house! They are way friendlier here than even in the Midwest!
-You eat rice and beans. A lot
-Avocados (as previously mentioned are giant here) are so prevalent that you have a giant tree at your office, where you can pick them up when they fall. FOR FREE. I love free things.

Thank you all for the blessing and encouragement you are to me!

SForbes

Daniel N, Ramadan, and Daniel I. Ramadan is a local who has become great friends with Paul and David, and he has the coolest testimony! I am enjoying becoming his friend, now, too!
This is the road I walk to/from work. I see a view like this about every other day. So pretty!

1 comment: